People ask me why I run. Actually, from most, it's more like "Why the HELL do you run? I could never run because . . . " enter whatever excuse/reason you want here.
My response is two-fold:
1. For me
2. For those who can't
FOR ME - Running to me has become a cathardic routine in my week. I started running to help me lose weight (which, it's AWESOME at) and to get a super-toned butt and legs (not there yet, but working on it!). The more I ran, the more I realized that it allows me the time and space to work shit through in my head. My best runs are usually those where I have a lot on my shoulders and a lot to process through. So, I run because it's time in my day where I don't have to take care of anything else except getting one foot in front of the other and focus.
FOR THOSE WHO CAN'T - It also allows me time to think about people who can't run - who are too sick or injured to run, who would give ANYTHING to be able to get up, put one foot in front of the other and do it. Some of these people are near and dear to me, some are just acquaintances and some are people who wouldn't know me from you.
I'm not going to lie. A LOT of runs are tough. Sometimes, I wonder "Why the HELL do you run?" The simple act of right, left, right, left is sometimes all I can do. But, I do it . . . and keep doing it.
I'm not the fastest runner by any means, but I do as much as I possibly can on any given day. Why? For me and for those who can't.

No comments:
Post a Comment